Tuesday 20 January 2009

Across the pond

Well signally failed to read anything while away but made some progress with ALM on the flight back.

Only a hundred or so pages in but very tickled by the early assertions that the most important/interesting things in life are those random meetings-up that happen without any conscious attempts to do so.

Am suffering slightly from the fact that everyone seems to be so dashed repellant. Widders is getting more and more unpleasant and I would quite happily see Quiggin and Erridge up against the wall when the revolution came.

Have to say did also wonder if Nick was going to confess a passion for one of his old school chums after the blithely dismissive reference to his date at the cinema. Although the nest of lesbians is quite hilarious, Powell makes them sound positively depraved.

All in all I'm still finding it a little annoying but rather enjoyable, perhaps a short break away from them has rekindled my fervour...

Who awards the Widmerpool prize?

4 comments:

Will Garrood said...

You need to get cracking M. Smith. Anna read vols 1-3 in Austria and is breathing down your neck.

I'll get her to blog.

Andrew Murray said...

Keep on dancing M. Smith - there are some real treats in the next few volumes to come.

Widmerpool Prize is awarded by the Anthony Powell Society... in case you're wondering who you have to impress.

Elliot Smith said...

I'll get my mouth-breathing hat on...

Anonymous said...

Well, I would blog (once I've finished these submissions) but I don't know how to post anything. Does one of you need to add me on or something?

Actually, I'm not sure how much I've got to say about vols 1 - 3. Maybe I'll just sit quietly in the corner until I've got on with vols 4 - 6.