Tuesday 28 April 2009

Lagging

I seem to have fallen behind rather - thanks for the lack of spoliers below!

I'd have to agree that Books Do Furnish A Room is a bit, well, nothing-y really. Although I think the two anecdotes offered as an explanation of the title are the ting that will stick with me from the sequence as a whole (so far at least).

I'm still getting the impression that Nick is floating through life: he doesn't have any really strong likes or dislikes, and no one really seems to feel strongly either way about him. Certainly it seems faintly ridiculous that anyone might have turned to him and said 'You make me really randy', which seems to be about as racy as the series gets.

For me the problem isn't so much I don't like the characters as they don't do interesting enough things. They're all so petty, even the monstrous ones like Magnus Donners.

Widmerpool and Pamela have kept me going quite frankly, there's something of the ring of truth about their marriage and they're both so awful at least there's a spark of character to them.

Am looking forward to number 12 if it's silly, thinking at least that might be better than the overall wishy-washyness of the main actors so far.

1 comment:

Anna said...

You'll be pleased to learn that vol 11 is the raciest of the lot!